1) They asked the fisherman, “Where did you leave your boat?”. In reported speech, this sentence is:
a) They asked the fisherman where the boat had been.
b) They asked the fisherman where he felt his boat.
c) They asked the fisherman where he had left his boat.
d) They asked the fisherman, “Did you leave your boat anywhere?”
2) Which is the indirect speech for: She said to Jim, “Did you see many whales in the South Pacific?”:
a) She told Jim if he had seen many whales in the South Pacific.
b) She asked Jim whether he had seen a lot of whales in the South Pacific.
c) She asked Jim if he did see a lot of whales in the South Pacific.
d) She said to Jim whether he saw many whales in the South Pacific.
3) The correct indirect speech of the following text is:
They said to John: ‘Do you think that you lead a good life here?’
Indirect speech: They ______ him if he _____ that he _____ a good life ____.
a) Asked / thought / led / there
b) Told / thought / leads / here
c) Said / thinks / leads / there
d) Ask / thought lead / here
4) “So the wolf asked her where her grandmother lived”. Turning the clause “where her grandmother lived” into direct speech, we’ll have:
a) Where does your grandmother live?
b) Where does her grandmother live?
c) Where did her grandmother live?
d) Where did your grandmother live?
5) “She asked me where I intended to go after my graduation”. Choose the correct alternative using the direct speech of the sentence above.
a) Where do you intend to go after your graduation?
b) Where do I intend to go after your graduation?
c) Where does she intend to go after her graduation?
d) Where does he intend to go after your graduation?
6) Turn the following sentences into indirect speech:
a) Paramedics said, "The boy was badly injured in a car crash."
b) "Listen to this", she said.
c) "I may have discovered a cure for cancer", said the researcher.
d) "She was standing here yesterday", said Paul.
e) "I killed JR", the witness confessed.
7) Turn the following sentences into direct speech:
a) She reminded me to mail the letter.
b) The lawyer said/declared (that) his/her client would be cleared of both charges.
c) My friends told me (that) they were going on an expedition to the South Pole.
d) She told me (that) she had sold all the jewels I had given her two weeks before.
e) The doctor asked us if/whether laziness impaired one's memory.
8) Choose if the following sentences are in active voice (A) or passive voice (P):
a) "Get away from me", she said.
b) He told me it must be the result of many years of practice.
c) She told him to get away from her.
d) They said, "Are you going to vote for him?"